English » The Department » Historical Note

Since the establishment of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens in 1837, Physics has been one of the subjects taught in the School of Philosophy. The first Physics Laboratory was set up in 1890 in a separate building at 104, Solonos str. (designed by the famous German architect H. Chiller) followed by the Laboratory of Experimental Physics in 1894. A major change in the structure of the University came about 1904, when the School of Philosophy was split into two separate Schools: Philosophy and Sciences, the latter consisting of the Departments of Physics and Mathematics, and the School of Pharmacy. In 1919 the Department of Chemistry was separated from the Department of Physics. With the structural reform of 1982, the Department of Physics is now one of the Departments of the School of Science.