Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to page footer

Department of Physics


When the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens was established in 1837, Physics was taught within the School of Philosophy. The first Physics Laboratory was set up in 1890 in a separate building (designed by the famous German architect H. Chiller) in the center of Athens, at 104 Solonos street. This was followed by the Laboratory of Experimental Physics in 1894. A major change in the structure of the University occurred in 1904, when the School of Philosophy was split into two separate Schools: Philosophy and Sciences, the latter consisting of the Departments of Physics and Mathematics, and the School of Pharmacy. In 1919 the Department of Chemistry was separated from the Department of Physics. Following the structural reform of 1982, the Department of Physics is now one of the Departments of the School of Science.